Papers to bring to court

Dear Angel6532:

Greetings. Please remember that a divorce hearing means that you will lose your rights to alimony and equitable distribution, if not properly filed prior to the divorce.

Now, if you are going to the hearing, you will need three (3) copies of the order for the judge to sign. In the order you need to place the language saying that you are to receive your maiden name. Look at the orders drafted on our website for help. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Angel brought up a good point that I had not considered. I was under the impression that as soon as the divorce was finalized that I could legally change my name back to my maiden name. Is this not the case? And if not then what would I need to do to ensure that I am able to do this. I was just served with a divorce complaint (for an absolute divorce, no separation agreement, and I was not planning on responding).

Thank you in advance for your response.

Dear ncdivorce:

Greetings. You can change your name by filing an Answer that requests that you can resume the use of your maiden name. This is free and easy. You can also file a form to change your name with the clerk of court’s office, and pay a fee. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My divorce hearing is Monday, and I need to know what papers to bring to court with me. On my NOH it says that the hearing’s for “absolute divorce”. Can you help me please? Also, do I need to put the request to change back to my maiden name on any of these? (It’s already on the complaint that was filed). Thank you!