Parental Kidnapping

My husband and I are currently in the mist of getting a divorce and we have a three month old baby. We had got into this domestic dispute and he refused to give me my baby so that I could get away from the abuse. When the law was called they couldn’t force him to give me the baby, because we both have the same rights for her. This incident occurred December 8th and he has not allowed me to see our baby since the incident and he threatening me to take the baby out of state to Detroit so that I cannot see her anymore. I really don’t know what else I can do. I would really appreciate it if one of you guys could tell me the steps I can take to get my baby back.

Concerned Mother

You may qualify for an ex parte custody order. This is an “emergency” order which, among other things, is used to prevent the removal of a child from the jurisdiction of the State of North Carolina.

Check out our article Can I Get a Temporary Custody Order? for more information on ex parte custody orders.