Paternity testing time limits

Typically, once you have entered into a voluntary child support order, you have lost the opportunity to contest paternity. If you can find the person you believe to be the real father, and he is willing to voluntarily provide support, then you may be able to end your child support obligation. Otherwise, you will remain responsible for the support.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

After separating from my wife last year, I signed a voluntary child support order in August '03. I now have reason to believe the children are not my biological children. May I still request a paternity test, and if so, will the court need to order it or may I return to the North Carolina child support enforcement office and request a paternity test?