Percent in support


#1

The percentage is based on the amount of money that the guidelines say it takes to raise a child per month. Who pays the insurance on them and how much? How many nights do they stay at each parents home?

Run the calculator with these figures and the incomes and daycare you mentioned and see what your stbx is supposed to be paying based on guidelines.

With the figures you posted with his income 20% would only be $360. So according to that he is paying over 20% of his income for child support. But with the figures you posted, figuring equal time/joint custody, and not adding insurance cost, $450 is the correct amount. The basic child support obligation would be $851.00 per month. This is how much the government says it takes to raise two children on your combined salaries. He has 58.06% of that obligation while you are obligated for the remaining amount 41.94%.


#2

Thank you Stepmother.

This is what I have told him. I told him that by law he is to pay that much but I lowered it because he was getting unemployment. I thought I was being nice about it all. He hasn’t seen the kids that much this year. I don’t even think he is going to see them this month for he lives in a different state. Thank you again.

Rose tanner


#3

I’m not sure why he thinks he is paying more than he should, however if you run the guidelines on our website you can find out how much he should be paying.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


#4

Maybe someone can answer this for me…

My STBX is making 1800 a month in unemployment and i am making about 1300 a month from working. We have two children at which i pay 600.00 a month in day care cost. My STBX says he is paying over 20% of his pay for support which is only 450.00 a month and is suppose to be over 800.00 a month. I am lost as well as the attorney is to why he thinks this. Can anyone tell me how he thinks he is paying over 20% of his share?