If child support has already been calculated and you have an order or an agreement in place, and it does not require you to give a portion of this bonus, you are not required to give the other parent any portion of the check. If there is no agreement in place, I would run the child support calculator including this check as extra yearly income and increase the monthly payments accordingly.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If a person gets a check other than his normal pay check, meaning a bonus and this is a one time deal, what amount should they give to the other parent as the child’s percentage of it?