Child Support Question


Dear Jfil:

Greetings. It depends on what his income is. Typically we use currently paystubs and W-2s to determine the actual amount of income to use in the child support calculator. If the bonus was a one time situation, then we would use the current paystubs and not the W-2. if the bonus is a yearly one, then we would use the W-2 OR we may use the current paystub and say that a percentage of all bonuses are child support. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hello. I am new to all this, so forgive me for asking silly questions. When my husband’s child support is calculated will it be from his W2 or recent paystubs? His W2 shows a couple of large bonuses he got last year, so it looks like he made significantly more than usual. I assume it will be from the W2?

Thanks [:)]