What is income for child support

Normally you and your employer will be asked for the items to verify income. These can include: most recent tax returns, check stubs, income from all sources including rental income and bonuses. You can always make some sort of statement about how the return may appear inflated due to your mother’s estate.

I would have to ask if the child support is currently paid through the state and by court order or if it’s paid directly to the ex and by agreement?

If you pay to the state then they more than likely will use the last years returns and as mal said you can make statements when this is being decided. I do not know if a tax return would show the bonus as separate income from your salary…
If you pay directly to your ex by agreement, then I suggest that you run the calculations using your current income without the bonus and estate money. You can agree to go over the guideline or agree to pay any specific amount based on your current arrangements.

Child support is calculated based on income from all sources. If the income you received from the investments was a one time thing it probably will not affect child support on an ongoing basis.

A bonus is not guaranteed income, but it is typically included in a child support calculation. If this is the first year you received a bonus and you can prove it is unlikely that this would happen again, it probably won’t impact child support.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have been divorced for several years now, but my ex wants to recalculate child support. Which I am for, but I have a question.

How do I calculate my income?
If I use last years taxes, it will show substantial investment income from my mothers estate and as well as a one time bonus from work. My mother was invested in income funds, and I have reallocated that money to growth funds so there will be little if any income going forward and another bonus in unlikely at best. Can I use only my gross pay from my job and leave off the one time investment / bonus income? While married, my ex and I always kept all money separate, and have a “working” divorce, just incorrect child support $$. I don’t want the new calculation to get ruin what has just started working.

thank you for responding…