Permanent Alimony

Dear MomOfBoys:

Greetings. This information is on our regular website at the following link:

I am sorry, but I don’t have time to answer such a general question as how is alimony granted or what do you need to prove. That link should provide you with the information.

Now, after alimony is awarded by the court, it usually can be modified based on a substantial change of circumstances. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

How is permanent alimony granted? What are the grounds, and when can it be changed if granted?

In other words, what does a spouse need to prove to a judge to get them to award permanent alimony to them ?