Please explain how this is legal, please

Can anyone explain? Thanks

Dear sk_wilson:

Greetings. Pleas enote that if you are not patient and you post again, it actually moves you to the end of the line to get a response, as I answer all posts in order.

Adoption makes you legally responsible for a child - expenses, liability, etc. Therefore, adoption means that a child is treated as if they were born from their adopted parent. So, he actually has two children now, which means that he has less money to pay for both. So, in a way, she is helping to support both children, yes. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife is paying child support. Her ex-husband has just adopted the daughter of the woman he married after he and my wife got divorced. He has no biological connection to his step-daughter. How in the world is it that, when he adopted his step-daughter, it caused my wife’s child support payment to him, for their daughter, to increase.

I clearly appears that my wife is being penalized, by having to pay more child support, for his decision to adopt his step-daughter, which was something my wife had no say so in.

Is there anyhting that can be done about this as this seems excessive and unfair.