Possible sole custody

My spouse and I currently have temp joint custody. My daughter became sick and it turns out that her fathers girlfriend tested positive for COVID. He never told me and she was around her. Awaiting the results but if my daughter comes back positive, is that reason to request sole custody or less visitation?

No, being around a Covid positive person or the fact that your daughter was around her father’s girlfriend is not, by itself, enough to request sole custody or less visitation.

If the girlfriend, for example, is not a safe person for your child to be around or your child is in danger being around her, then that would be good evidence for you to use at a permanent custody trial showing that the father is not capable of making decisions in the child’s best interest.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.