Post divorce health insurance

In our divorce agreement, hubby agreed to pay health insurance on kids until they are grown and working on their own providing their own coverage. He got notice his insurance will be doubled for next year and has asked me to carry youngest kid on my plan which would be a huge savings. He has agreed to pay me the premiums. Do I need a lawyer to get that in writing or is that something we can do on our own with him signing paper he will do this and insist on direct deposit into my account?

If the requirements for insurance coverage are in a separation agreement (vs. a court order), then you can make this change on your own if you prefer, as long as the separation agreement allows for amendments (most do). In a new document you would need to clearly state which provision you are amending and what the new requirements are. It’s a good idea to be specific when writing out the new terms so that there is no confusion or misinterpretation later. You and your ex-husband will need to both sign the new document and have each of your signatures notarized.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.