Post Separation Support

Dear bsbrady58:

Greetings. Yes, she will be “allowed” to continue to work part time, but you need to hire an expert for your alimony trial that will testify about what her income earning potential will be.

No, there is no way to calculate alimony payments, but an attorney can help you “guesstimate” an amount based on all the facts of your case, your judge, your county, etc. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I was ordered to pay post separation support for two years. This ends in June 2006. I currently pay both child support and post separation support. My understanding is that the post separation is temporary, allowing her time to support herself. She refuses to go to work full time, knowing that if her income rises, she will have less opportunity in court to request more money from me. She is able to work, she just will not go to work full time. Will she be allowed to continue to work part time? Also, is there a way to estimate/calculate alimony payments?
Thank you.