Proceeds from house

Dear acl:

Greetings. That is a question for either a CPA or tax attorney and I recommend that you speak with one of them. I cannot answer that question here. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been seperated a year and the divorce papers filed but not finalized yet. We sold our home in Feb 2006. The home was in my husbands name as was the loan. Of course I had to sign at the closing when we sold it and the proceeds check was in both our names. Do I have to report this somehow on my 2006 taxes?