Questions About Motion for Contempt


My ex-wife is in contempt for not allowing me to go to the house and get my personal belongings and not refinancing the house into her name.
Can I file the motion for contempt and represent myself?
Since I purchased the house before the marriage and it is separate property, can the judge order her to leave?
Can NC Legal Aid represent me in this matter?


Yes, you can file a contempt motion and represent yourself. The motion is called a motion for order to appear and show cause.

A judge can require your ex-wife to leave the residence if a court order states that you are to have possession of the home and she has not complied with the order.

You can call your local Legal Aid office to inquire about representation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.