Recording Separation Agreement


Dear ally123:

Greetings. First, it is never my advice that clients record their separation agreements. Generally a separation agreement is specifically tailored to the parties, including account information, addresses, and other specifics which the parties do not want to become part of a public record. Therefore, I usually have my client sign a Memorandum of Agreement which they can register, which does not have their personal information for any person to find. Also, it is generally a lot less money to register a memorandum.

Now, if you are not going to heed my advice and plan to register your agreement anyway, you will need to take your separation agreement (an original copy with the notary seals) to the Register of Deeds office in the county where you reside. Make sure to bring cash to pay for the registration costs. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


How do I “record” my separation agreement? And what does it mean to “record” it?