Restraining order questions?


The father of my child’s girlfriend sought a restraining order against me although she has been the one badmouthing me to my child and stalking me along with him. I have no way to protect myself or my child. What options do I have? Are these appealable?


A temporary domestic violence protective order or civil no contact order is not appealable but there is a return court date for you to appear in court and present evidence for your side of the case. It is important for you to go to that court date to contest the entry of a permanent domestic violence protective order or civil no contact order.

If you feel that you or your minor child are being stalked, you can go to the DA’s office or magistrate’s office about criminal charges.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.