Retrieving information for bills and budgeting

Hello!
I will be going through a divorce soon and my spouse and i currently split the current monthly bills.
He pays most of “his half” online (cable/internet, car insurance for both of us, phone/phone plan for both of us, gas… etc) and I do not have access to his passwords. I have been told that i need to gain access to these types of things when planning out the finances of my divorce.
If he is unwilling to share account information with me, do i have any rights to this information eventhough my name is not on any of these accounts as an “account holder”?
Is there a way to legally force him to give me the account information since they cover items that belong to me (car insurance on my car, phone owner & user on a “family cell plan”)?

The provider will not likely give you this information if your name is not on the account. As you’re negotiating a settlement, you can include language in a separation agreement that requires him to transfer certain accounts into your name only. And if he doesn’t, then you would have grounds for a breach of contract lawsuit. For car insurance and cell phones, most separated people will get their own separate policies/accounts.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you Anna :slight_smile:
I appreciate it.

with regards to the car insurance and phone plan, we will be getting separate ones in the future, i was just under the impression that i needed documentation of current payments/account info for the those.

For bills for things like auto insurance, cell phone, utilities, etc., you don’t necessarily need documentation of them. You do need documentation and account statements for all assets (like bank accounts, retirement accounts, investment accounts, etc.) and debts (like mortgage, credit cards, etc.) as well as income (like paycheck stubs, W-2s, 1099s, etc.).

A good starting point is to ask for the last 6 months worth of documents and account statements.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.