Separation agreement


my husband an i agreed on everything on our divorce. i filled out a separation agreement an we both signed an notarized. are these papers legal an binding now an Do i include these papers with the divorce papers i file at the courthouse? thank you-Lisa


They are binding under contract law. If you incorporate them in your divorce decree, the are enforceable as a court order.


How do I incorporate them with the divorce papers? Thank you - Lisa


You have to request it in your divorce complaint and have the judge put it in the divorce judgment. Whether a judge will do this depends on the policies in the jurisdiction and whether there is language in the separation agreement allowing for the incorporation of the agreement into the decree.