Separation & Deployment

Dear chosen_advocate:

What a witch! My suggestion is that when he returns, he does NOT go home, but he stays in the barracks or somewhere else. He should also immediately file an action for equitable distribution. He can even hire an attorney now in his area and send her a separation agreement. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My cousin is currently deployed in Bagdad. Prior to him leaving his marraige was already in turmoil. Since he’s been gone things have just gotten out of hand. His wife has stated that she doesn’t want him, she is activly searchig for someone else and that she plans to move to another state. Instead of being a supporting military wife in this time, she has done everything but. It’s our family who sends the care packages, cards and words that would help build his emotional moral. She on the other hand sends humiliating emails. As if the man doesn’t have enough to go through day to day. The war in his marraige is bigger than the war that he’s in. I’ve read that NC law requires the two parties to be seperated for a year before they can be divorced. However, his deployment is about to end and he doesn’t even want to return home. How will this affect him legally if he moves out upon return and files a legal separation thereafter? From what I’ve read (emails from her)it really wouldn’t be in his best intrest to return to that house. Our family is really concerned that after experiencing some of the things that he has dealt with in Iraq, it really wouldn’t be good for him to return to this confrontational relationship. But if the state mandates this law, how can he not? A year is a long time to live in misery! We really need some answers.

Thank you,

Chosen Advocate