During my divorce I was making about what you are. With one son I did not qualify for any legal assistance… or food stamps, or rental assistance…The one thing I did qualify for was NC healthchoice for my son… but on a 5 week month he’d be disqualified b/c I would make too much. Granted my son was out of daycare and afterschoolcare so I didn’t have that expense.
Get a divorce kit and follow the instructions. The financial situation are going to follow you. Hopefully you will be able to disperse some of the debt to him… the reality is you could be held just as liable as he can. Did you file taxes jointly? If so the IRS can come after you for his debt.

If you are in Charlotte, NC…you can go to Crisis Assistance Ministry to assist you with PAST DUE rent, mortgage, power, gas…CALL THEM.

Your one year will begin on February 29, 2008. You can contact legal aid in your county and apply for assistance.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you all for the advice. If I can get a decent price for the house I should be alright. It just really burns me that I’ll have to start over at 57.
Thank you again

My husband is in jail with bail for violation of probation. He still has two court dates yet. I’m not going to bail him out and neither will any of his friends. He’ll probably get 3-5 years or more. He’s on his 3rd and 4th DUIs. How do I go about filing papers? I have no money, he has left me in a bad financial situation, behind on bills and owe back taxes because of his working on 1099s. When does my one year start, he was arrested by his probationary officer on Feb. 29,2008. Where can I go to get low cost or free legal aid? I work full time and gross $440 weeekly.
Thank you