Separation in NC

I don’t think the guest house will count for the court unless it is somehow seperated from the main residence such as its own water and power meter and a seperate address (37 1/2 elm street) Then I think you could make a case for what you want to do. What ever you decide do not lie on the documents it will only hurt both of you in the long term.


Dear gayehead:

Greetings. No. You need to have a new home and address. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Can you still be separated and live on the same property. My husband are going to separate, but being independent until our house would sell is not a possibity right now. We have a workshop/guesthouse and he says he can move in there until our house would sell. How do you prove to the judge that you have not been together for a year to get the divorce.