Separation Papers


Dear rjdeviner:

Greetings. No, you do not have to agree to college in a separation agreement, because a court cannot make you agree to pay for college costs of adult children. You may want to include who pays for health insurance and life insurance (although life insurance is not necessary either). Braces are also an optional provision, although more and more courts are mandating parents to pay for these costs as reasonable.

My advice is to agree to pay only what you are comfortable agreeing to pay. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I would like to know what are musts in sep papers.
Child Support I know is yes, however what about health ins, life ins.,college money. Things like braces or other problems that may come in later years.
Really I am willing to help or even do all these for the kids. However I am not so sure I want to committ to things so far down thw road. What if her employer pays for health ins. or the kid wnats to go to Yale.
I hope you can help.