Separation Question

From what you’ve posted, I don’t think you have a leg to stand on.

If there was an actual child support order (w/ 1st ex) entered (and modified in September), it might be a different kettle of fish.

But since there is no order there, I don’t think you have grounds (or at least have not demonstrated them) to be released from your separation agreement that you (apparently) willingly signed.

IMHO, you will be compelled to pay your second wife, and (depending on the language of your separation agreement) be required to pay her attorney’s fees, as well.

If you have a signed and notarized legal agreement between you and your soon to be ex Wife, she can go to court and obligate you to perform under the Agreement. You may want to review the Agreement with an attorney to see if there are any provisions that allow you to stop paying.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My stbx wife and I separated 6 months ago and we signed a separation agreement and had it notarized, It included spousal support.

In September I stopped paying her because I started paying my 1st ex-wife child support since I was no longer keeping my kids a portion of the time. My 1st ex-wife and I don’t have a court ordered child support amount and as a matter of fact our court order states neither is to pay child support while that order is in effect.

As for my STBX wife, she has served me with Breach of Separation Agreement complaint papers asking the court to make me back pay her and force me to perform under our agreement and I can’t afford that amount anymore and frankly I don’t want to pay it.

Can I get out of my separation agreement? Do I have to pay my STBX or can I fight this with courts since I agreed to pay my childrens’ mother support??? Will a judge make me pay my 2nd wife or not?