Seperation Advice

DO NOT LEAVE he can not force you - if he touches you call the police and file a complaint - AND press charges for DV.


Dear bailey1:

Greetings. First, I agree with jnewman - DO NOT LEAVE. He cannot kick you out of your home. If you take the car, he can get it back very easily. Go and see an attorney. If he changes the locks while you are out, call the Sheriff and have then let you back in the house. Good luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband just sold the pnly vehicle that we had that was in my name.He gave me one of his vehicles, promising to put it in my name but it hasn’t happened. Today he tells me to pack & get out.My question is, can I legally take this car so that I will have a way back & forth to work?I can’t afford to buy anything right now and he says he doesn’t have to provide me with transportation.Please help!!