Seperation papers and filing for divorce

Dear chris18:

Greetings. No, you do not need to bring the papers with you when you file for divorce. You file the quit claim deed with the Register of Deeds in the county where you live.

You need to keep the Separation Agreement for your records. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I have been seperated for over a year and a half. We had a military attorney write up our seperation papers. They were signed and notorized. I will soon be filing for divorce. Do I bring these seperation papers and the quick claim with me when I file? When are they needed? This is a noncontested divorce with 2 children involved.