Service of process

If your soon to be ex has filed an answer and counterclaim with the court, then service is not an issue. The certificate of service may be incorrect, that is a separate issue. You should make sure they have your correct address and ask for the document to be reserved. I cannot tell you what the impact of this will be unless I have reviewed the Complaint and the Answer and Counterclaims.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My stbx answered my complaint by having her lawyer send the answer/counterclaim to her mother’s address in my name? I’ve never lived at that address. The stbx and lawyer both signed that the answer/counterclaim were properly served in this manner. I don’t think so, my stbx brought the mail from her mother’s and hand delivered it to me. Is it a valid appearance or not?