Serving by mail


You file the three copies with the clerk and then take one of your filed copies to be served certified mail, but you must mail it within five days of filing with the clerk.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Please assist. I am a bit confused about serving by certified mail. Do I send the three copies of the summons via postmaster myself before going to file the papers? -OR- Do I first file the papers and then I will receive a copy back from the clerk to then send via mail and when the green card is received back, I take that to the court and file the avidavit of service? The instructions aren’t clear and I have read and read to try and clarify. Does the clerk send it? Does the green return card come to my address once he receives the summons? Thanks in advance for your help.