Serving via Sheriff

If you serve via sheriff the sheriff will notify the court that the defendant has been served. You will need to call the sheriff’s department to follow up on service.

Once she has been served with a copy of the complaint, it is sufficient to send any future filings via regular mail.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Another question…

The STBX is not going to give me a home address so I will have to have the STBX served at work, and if I try to serve via mail the STBX will probably not sign for the mail or refuse to return the return-receipt, just for the sake of making things difficult for me. So, since my STBX is not going to cooperate at all, I am thinking that it may be more thorough and efficient if I just have the STBX served at work via Sheriff.

If I serve via Sheriff I will not have to file an Affidavit of Service, correct? Will the Sheriff notify the Court that the STBX has been served or do I have to do that myself? Will I be notified when the papers are served or do I have to call and ask? Do I take the actual papers to the Sheriff’s office and drop them off?

Also, a later step in the process is:
“Serve a copy of the Notice of hearing and calendar request on your spouse”

I thought the Court would be sending this… is this yet another set of papers that I am going to have to have the Sheriff deliver? Do I have to file an affidavit that I sent this as well? Sheez!