Posted yesterday, but no response, and am new here

We were served NC court papers via certified mail.

Dear susanlynn:

You can also serve by him accepting service (signing the proper form), certified mail, sheriff, UPS, or FedEx. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hi all:

I just have a question about serving papers to a spouse who lives in a different county than Wake (where I filed). He lives in Mecklenberg County, and after reading the Do-It-Yourself page on Rosen, I seemed to think he had to be served his summons via sheriff. However, the sheriff takes up to 60 days (it’s been 15 or so now) and my spouse is moving out of the country in about a week or two, with no forwarding address. In order to save money and time without having to do the publication method, I was wondering if I could send his papers via certified mail or FedEx. Does anyone know? Thanks for the help.