Serving papers to a spouse in a different county

Dear susanlynn:

Greetings. Yes, you can serve by FedEx as you stated below. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am doing a Do-It-Yourself divorce in Wake County using the Rosen site and forms. I already filed downtown, but need clarification on how to serve him papers, ssince he lives in Mecklenburg County. The web site implies that a sheriff must serve papers if the spouse lives in a different county, but the sheriff’s office takes 60 days in Charlotte. My spouse is leaving the country next week for 3 months and I’m worried he won’t get the papers before he goes, and don’t want to have to do a publication if possible, because of the additional cost. Am I allowed to send via FedEx with a signature, or via certified mail?