Serving Complaint

You can serve him via certified mail even if he lives in another county. I would try sending the complaint via certified mail to the address where he receives his mail. If he is avoiding the complaint I would send it via certified mail in a box so that it is not obvious what he is receiving.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I understand that if my stbx lives in another county from which I am filing I must have the Complaint served via Sheriff. I have not had any contact from my stbx since March when he was kicked out of my uncle’s place. He receives mail at my parent’s address and calls to see if any has been delivered. His (sometimes)ex-girlfriend refused to tell me where he lives when I was in town for father’s day. I have called several times and left messages on his cell for him to call me back and give me the information I need to have him served so I can file for the divorce. He won’t return my calls or even call to speak to our daughter (except for a 10 minute call on father’s day after we were back home). He only has 2 cousins who live in the same county and he only sees them by chance not arrangement. We do not have any common friends left in the area who may be able to give me an idea of where he lives or works.

We have been legally separated for 4 years and living in different counties for 3 of those. I need to have child support established by the court as well during the divorce. I need to have him served ASAP so I can get him to pay the child support he agreed to when we separated and has neglected for the past 3 years!

How am I supposed to have him served if I can’t find him?!?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.