Hi. My wife and I have been married for 9 years, together for 11. She announced Monday that she wants a separation and divorce. I don’t want one: I want to try everything else (counseling) first. Facts:
- We have two children, 4 and 7, that we both dearly love. They know nothing of these plans yet.
- We have a nice house. I have the loan. Both our names are on the deed.
- I believe both cars are in my name.
- I have been the breadwinner with a low six figures income. She has had various short-term low-paying jobs. If she has made $10K in any year, I’d be surprised.
- So far I have been presented with no legal documents. I’ve just heard rumors through my Mom that my wife has a separation agreement, and wants to sell the house.
Bottom line: I don’t want to sign anything, I don’t want to move out, and I don’t want to sell the house. If she simply cannot tolerate living here, then I feel she should take an apartment. The kids will live there primarily and then visit me.
All is confusion and hell. Can she make me sign, move out, and sell?