Simple Divorce Question


You must serve the summons and complaint either by certified mail- return receipt, or by sheriff (or some other person authorized to serve such documents). Generally, you cannot serve the documents yourself.

David L. McGuire
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Does the civil summons and complaint have to be delivered by certified mail or sherrif? Can you hand deliver the forms in the presence of a notary public and then have an affidavit from the notary stating the personal-hand delivery?

Just curious,