Soldiers' and sailor's act

You may file a motion to modify custody, if you were once traveling frequently for the military and you are not no longer traveling, that will probably be considered a substantial change in circumstances and the court may very well change custody.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I was divorced while deployed to a combat zone in 2000, I would like to know if I would be able to dispute it now using the sailors’ act- as my military service is now over and I am still having a hard time with visitation and custody of my child. I thought I could work it out with her mother but her mother seems to be playing games and is very restrictive to include asking me to relinquish my title as Father of my child to her new husband.

Sir Lee