Spouse out of country

If your husband fails to have contact or pay support for your child for a period of two years, then you can move to terminate his parental rights. You can do this on your own, however it is not an area of law that I traditionally practice in and could not give you specific advise on the procedure.

The rules regarding service vary from country to country. You will need to contact the embassy for the country he is residing him and ask them about the rules regarding legal service in their country. In some countries you can simply serve him via certified mail. You would serve yourself well if you can do a little detective work and try to narrow down his location.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My spouse was deported in Mar. 2001. We have 3 children together and he has had no contact with any of us since he left. i want to obtain a divorce, but cannot afford an attorney. So, i want to file for divorce on my own. My question is this: How can i do a publication for serving him if he is in another country? (I have no idea where his family is either. They have all moved as far as i know.)I was also curious if i can have his parental rights terminated on my own without a lawyer and how much that entails.
Thank you for your help