Abandonment w/child


Dear lauda24:

Greetings. You will need to serve him by publication for the divorce in the last known area that he lived. I suggest that you retain an attorney for this.

Also, you clearly have the grounds for termination of parental rights and you would also have to serve him by publication for that too.

Have you tried to file for child support with the child support enforcement agency. I think that they can look up his social security number for information on where he is living/working. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have not seen or heard from my husband in 4 years. We have a 6 year old daughter and he has not seen her and obviously hasn’t paid any support for her. I have no clue where he might be because he moved from where he and I were living, changed jobs, etc. I have made efforts to find him to no avail. All I want is a divorce and to move on.

I really need advice on how to revoke his parental rights, if possible, and how to go about getting a divorce. What sort of time frame etc. Thank you so very much.