Step-parent adoption


Dear shawnandsteph:

Greetings. You can file an action for termination of parental rights and serve your ex by publication. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
The father of my son was abusive to me and I left him in July of 2003. At that time my son was almost 3. After the split the Bio-father began doing drugs very heavily, tried to commit suicide 3 times, and moved back with his family 300 miles away. Never to be seen again. When I had a hearing for a final restraining order they granted me the physical custody of my son along with the residence and $76/ week for child support (did not ask for). Following that he did not pay anything for about 7 months. Then began to have his wages garnished and then began a cycle of changing jobs and not going to court dates. He has been in and out of drug rehab 3 times. The state was the one persuing him for the support the whole time - not me. So now my son is 6 years old and I have been with my husband for over 2 years and he is the only one that my son knows as a father. What are the steps that I need to take to have parental rights taken away for abandonment? And then my husband wants to addopt my son- what are the steps we need to do for that?
Additionaly, because of confidentiality I can’t get his address. I have tried to research him on the net, but nothing.

Thank you sooo much for any advice.