What do I do about "abandonment"?


Dear elismom:

Greetings. File a claim for alimony and equitable distribution, or just change everything back over into your name and go on without him until the date of divorce. You can do better! Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


when my husband and I got together I found out that he might be a father from a previous relationship, he wanted nothing to do with this woman so he did not want to find out for sure though i suggested he should, in feb of this year he decided he wanted to know and called the woman’s mother and then lied to me about getting incontact with the woman…he would talk to her for all hours of the night and day and told me he didn’t want me to be a part of it and that he wasn’t going to stp talking to her, he left on april 16 to fly to NV to take a paternity test, thurday the 20, it was positive, he came home sat the 22 and left me that night, sun the 23rd went to his moms out of state, i found out that tues the 25th he flew back to NV, he first told me that it wasn’t perm, on wed the 26 he said he was never coming back to NC, ALL the bills are his name except lease on the house, it’s in both…WHAT DO I DO NOW?