You can look up on NC General Assembly web site, Chapter 7B article 11. Under the statures and type in 7B-1100. I think that the two in particular you are looking for would be 7B-1103 & 7B-1104. But I believe that the 1100’s are where information on terminating parental rights are.

Dear AZ2NC:

Greetings. You file the petition to terminate parental rights in the county where you live. Thank you and good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

we already filed for the step-parent adoption in Meck. NC. The bio father is in AZ. (No support, contact etc etc for years) Sent him a certified letter that was un-claimed. PO Box is still a good address, he just won’t sign ANY thing.

We all ready met criteria for home eval, and only need to leap this hurdle to finalize. Where Do I file a motion for “termination of parental rights” in NC?