Start of seperation


Dear plm1966:

Greetings. First, if you have left the house, move back in, unless she has told you that you cannot go back. Once you move back in, then you can negotiate with your spouse to do a collaborative law process - which has the highest rates of reconciliation.

Now, you cannot both have the same attorney - as it is not ethical for one attorney to represent both of you. So, one attorney may tell you both something separate.

Finally, you should be thinking permanent now. Always think about the worse case scenario, planning for the same, but hoping for the best. Good luck…let us know if we can help!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife of 10 years has decided that we should legally seperate. We have two kids (5 and 2). It seems as if at times she wants a divorce and just does not want to say it. Has told me that even I make the changes she wants there are no promises and that she does not see us living with each other for a long time. She is still is the house is there any point I can say you are the one who wants this, so I think you should go and leave the kids. Also since we have kids will the atty. want us to go to see a counselor. I really do not want a divorce, but at what point should l look into more permanent living arrangements and get my things out of the house and my own bank account. etc.

Patrick Maginnis