STBX won't sign Taxes

File as “married filing separately.” Screw him.

I suggest filing married separate also. Sadly, it sounds as though your ex is attempting to make you do all the work and sweat it. Do NOT give him the originals.
File electronically married separate and let him be the one that doesn’t file. Make sure that you send him an e-mail dated today letting him know how you have filed and that he will need to be responsible for filing his own taxes. Get yours in first so that he can not take the copies you gave him and have them filed that way and do NOT sign for him.

If your Husband will not cooperate you can file taxes separately. You cannot file in his name without his permission and I would not recommend that you do so.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My stbx moved out in Feb. We agreed to file our taxes as married filing jointly. He has been very insistent and pushy about my getting them done and ready for him. Last week, I had them ready but didn’t have a copy so as a convenience to him, I ran and made copies and gave it to him that day. He still hasn’t signed. We owe $1500 this year. He indicated that if I would go ahead and file, I could take his porition out of the rebate (please, no one comment on how he’ll go back on his word…I already know that.) He doesn’t like the way things are going with the Property Settlement so I think that’s why he’s being a butt and not signing. He wanted to take the original and look at it comparing it to the copy I’ve given him. What do I do…tomorrow is the 15th? I think I could probably file electronically as a signature isn’t required. But, if I can’t do that, does anyone have any suggestions? If I filed an extension, there is a 10% penalty.