Stopping Child Support Payments


I currently pay child support based on a Child Support Order. The order requires payments be made through N.C. Centralized Collections, which they are. The amount I pay is deducted each month from my paycheck.

How do I get these deductions to stop when my youngest child turns 18? The Child Support Order says child support “shall terminate when the child reaches the age of 18” provided the child has graduated from high school.

The Child Support Order also lists the birthdays of my children.

Can I provide a copy of my Child Support Order to my employer’s payroll deparment, with a copy of my child’s high school diploma? Or how is this done? Thanks.


You need to file a motion to terminate child support based on your child’s turning 18. The court will hold a short hearing to determine that support should indeed be terminated, and issue an appropriate order.