You need to file suit, as there is no way you can force your husband to respond to your settlement offers. Legal aid can help with child custody and child support. Once you start receiving support you may then be able to move forward with your property case once you get back on your feet.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I hired an attorney and they drew up paperwork, however after 3 months I still have not received a counter offer from my stbx or his attorney. I have now exhausted all of my funds that were available. What are my options now other than going to DSS to have them enforce child support? What are my options for equitable distribution and alimony and child custody guidelines? Specifically I live in a home that is being foreclosed on, the vehicle i’m using is in my stbx name, he stops by to see the kid whenever he feels its okay. He hasn’t paid any child support. If I can’t afford an attorney to help, am I just out of luck?