Summons Service on Absentee Defendant Wake Co NC


Dear Mialmasoul:

Greetings. You can serve by certified mail, sheriff, or publication (if sheriff and certified mail don’t work). I would also remind you that there are forms with the post office you can file to find out someone’s forwarding address. Some have also served divorce complaints by Federal Express and UPS.

First, try by certified mail, get the forwarding address, and then by Sheriff. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I know this question is really specific. I am on the threshold of filing for divorce “pro se” and I only have the last known address of the defendant in the case. Because of communications with Child Support Enforcement (Granted after DVPO was granted) I am afraid the person may no longer be in the area. Would it make divorce impossible if Wake Co. Sheriff cannot serve the summons?

Mialmasoul La Morena