Supplemental Discovery

Requested documentation from husband (bank account & credit card statements ). After 3 months nothing his lawyer says he will have them but still nothing. Finally told my lawyer enough is enough so she told his attorney have them by last Friday or we will file a motion to compel. Now my husband is asking for additional discovery. How much discovery is needed? Could this be a stall tactic to avoid the motion to compel? What can I do? This May 17th will be one year still no court date trying to get support/alimony I am dependent spouse. Can I get back support from date of separation?

It’s likely that your husband has a legitimate need for the additional discovery as your motion to compel him to produce certain documents would not affect his discovery requests to you.

You can get retroactive support dating back to the date of separation if you asked for this in the complaint/counterclaim and the judge awards this.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.