Support Across State Lines

Divorce and custody issues were finalized in NC, with court granting me permission to move out of state. I now live in Alabama with my two boys. No child support action or arrangements were made through the court system. I would like to file for child support but have received conflicting information from both child support agencies in the respective states. NC agency says the local child support agency in AL needs to petition NC via a UIFSA packet along with any required affidavits and evidence to support the UIFSA petition. Alabama agency says I have to file an original action for child support in NC before they can do anything. Neither agency will help me. Can you please clarify?

You need to file an original action in NC as NC has jurisdiction over your spouse.