Support payments

Dear pickles:

Greetings. Yes, you can sue him for breach of contract. If your agreement was drafted well, knowing the type of spouse you have, it will contain an attorney fees paragraph for breaches.

If I were your attorney, I would have put the alimony in a court order, because that is enforceable within 10 days and is agreed to by the parties in the same manner as a separation agreement. Hope that helps.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

The last 2 times my husband has shorted me on spousal support. Tomorrow he will be paying me less than my rent that is due the beginning of the month. I need car work done - the separation agreement states that he is to provide for the upkeep of my car. Yet, he says I should have spent the money I received the last time on the car. Do I have any recourse on the spousal support at all? Or do I just have to put up with whatever he chooses to pay?

pickles [:(!]