Tax refunds

If it was deposited into a joint account that you still have access to then yes you can find out if it was an IRS check deposit and move 1/2 the funds. Contact the accountant that did the taxes and request another copy of the file. You may have to pay a copy fee but it would be well worth it…

I am not saying you should do this, but if you two have a joint account together you are able to remove ALL the money if you want. Like I said, I am not saying you should. Ive gotten screwed in the past by my ex with taxes, I would hate to see it happen to the one who provides for the child most. Good luck

If you still have access to the account and you have not signed any agreement allocating the funds in that account, then it is legal for you to authorize those funds.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

We are separated, but filed jointly. I went in first, he went in few days later. I told ex that i wanted to do rapid refund if possible; he did not want to do it - said that we would just wait for the check to come in. I asked for a copy of the tax file, he refused to give it to me. I requested that when the refund checks come in that he call me so I could meet him @ the bank to cash the checks. He said that the federal had not come yet, then I find out last night that he picked up the check from the accountant on the 13th! Both names are on the check; i’m pretty sure he deposited it into the joint account that we had. I still have access to that account. Question: can i legally transfer half of that check amount into my personal account? What can i do to get my part of the money?