Temporary Custody Order

You would need to file a lawsuit for custody with the courts. Generally you will have a temporary custody hearing about 45-60 days from the date that you file. The cost will vary based on the complexity of your case.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Okay, STBX and I have had a visitation “arrangement” that we’ve been following relatively consistently since we separated in February. Anytime he’s wanted to make a change, I’ve agreed to it as long as it’s reasonable. Now that I’ve decided to stop allowing him to make so many changes when it’s convenient for him, he decided to go and pick the kids up on a week that isn’t his. Now I know that legally he can do this since we do not have a court-ordered custody arrangement. What are steps for getting a temporary custody order? How long does it take, $$$, etc?