Temporary extra spousal support

I have a mediation agreement where my ex spouse agreed to pay me a certain amount each month until we go to alimony court. Although, now certain circumstances have caused me to need more financial support from him than what he is paying. I was in a car accident, my car was totalled and I had to buy a car so now I have a car payment and my health has caused Medical expenses and other necessary bills which I have now that I did not have then. Also, alimony court has been very very long delayed twice, and I am having extreme financial difficulty paying for normal living expenses. Also, he has since gotten a higher paying job. Can I file a motion or petition with the court for additional temporary spousal support to help me survive until court?

If your temporary support agreement is in a court order, you can file a motion to modify this amount to ask for more and/or you can attend a mediation session in an attempt to resolve all pending issues, including the issue of alimony.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.